Blog Header Image

Do You Need a Special License to Rent a Passenger Van

What is Needed to Rent a Passenger Van

Traveling to the United States can be an exciting adventure, but it can also be quite confusing, especially when it comes to understanding the rules and regulations for operating a larger vehicle like a 12 or 15 passenger van. Many people, especially those from other countries, may be under the impression that they need a special license to operate such a vehicle, similar to what may be required in their home country. However, the truth is that a simple, valid driver's license is all that is needed to drive a 12 or 15 passenger van in the United States.

One of the reasons for this confusion is that in some other countries, larger passenger vans are classified as buses, and therefore require a special license to operate. However, in the United States, these vans are not classified as buses, but rather as regular passenger vehicles. As such, they fall under the same rules and regulations as other cars and light trucks.

This can be a major relief for those who are planning on renting or driving a larger vehicle in the United States. Many people may be hesitant to rent a 12 or 15 passenger van because they are unsure if they are legally allowed to operate it. However, with a valid driver's license, anyone can drive one of these vehicles, regardless of whether they are a U.S. citizen or a foreign national.

Of course, it is still important to exercise caution and drive responsibly when operating a larger vehicle like a 12 or 15 passenger van. These vehicles are much larger than a standard car and require extra care and attention when navigating the roads. It is important to be aware of the vehicle's size and weight, and to take extra precautions when turning, changing lanes, and parking.

One of the best ways to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience when driving a 12 or 15 passenger van is to rent from a reputable company like AVR Van Rental. These companies have a wide range of vehicles available for rent, including larger passenger vans, and are experienced in helping travelers navigate the rules and regulations for operating these vehicles in the United States.

When renting a larger vehicle, it is important to ask questions and clarify any concerns or confusion you may have about driving it. A good rental company will be happy to answer your questions and provide you with any necessary information or guidance to ensure a safe and stress-free experience.

In conclusion, operating a 12 or 15 passenger van in the United States does not require a special license, but rather a simple, valid driver's license. While this may be different from what some people are used to in other countries, it is important to understand the rules and regulations of the country you are visiting. With the right information and a little bit of caution, driving a larger vehicle can be a safe and enjoyable experience for anyone visiting the United States.

AVR Van Rental

Book with confidence, we have your back.

Follow Us On
media icon
media icon
media icon
Mobile App

Rent Anywhere, Anytime

Contactless Rental

24/7 Pickup & Returns

Leading Cleaning Services

Get the AVR App